 Trains / 17540
Re: Definitions: LUG or LTC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:49:29 GMT

Steve & All,

I would like to get some feedback from members of LUGs and LTCs on their
opinions of what the differences are. Some areas that I'm interested in are:
goals of the club, public interactions (aka shows/venues), membership
structure/government, fellowship expectations (friends vs acquaintances)...

First of all, this is an interesting question, I will try my best to answer. : )

1) Differences: I think the only major difference between MichLUG and
MichLTC is the name. We use the MichLTC for various train shows, such as
GATS, and some others we are looking into right now. We also use MichLTC for
official correspondence, such as if news people come to a show, or maybe for
some forms.

We use MichLUG for everything else, such as if we exhibit at a Con or some
such activity, and we mention the TLC as well.

Our goals are the same, showing off at various venues to increase people's
awareness of our club, and LEGO as a source of fun and creativity, for
people of all ages. We also have a blast most of the time, so that is a
factor. : )

Shows / venues - Obviously, we try to have shows tha accomodate or highlight
our strong suits, trains, space, and castle. We are still seeking a better
way to do non-train related shows and events. We usually do not show at
events if we have to pay to be there, we had a problem with that last time.
After paying to haul stuff over there, set up, etc. we already paid, and for
us to have to pay to get in, no thanks.

Membership structure / government - We have a fairly conprehensive
membership structure, basically you need to come to a meeting, and then you
get to be amember, with some rules, etc. As for structure, we have a very
limited command structure, we basically vote on club related things (Do we
need to get more roadplates with club funds, do we want to go to
bobchuckville for their train show, etc.) We have a webmaster, treasurer,and
a membership person. If our group goes much bigger, I think we might need a
more comprehensive structure, but for now it's fine, I think we are past 20+
members now.

Fellowship Expectations - hmm... interesting. I think we have a real strong
bond between our group, for the love of the brick, and that is a good thing
to have as a backdrop, we have a lot of variety along socio / economic /
political views, but the love of the brick is why we are a group. I think I
have made some good friends over the past couple of years, and I think it
will continue to grow in that respect. Since I moved to Indiana, I consider
my MichLUG friends the only ones I have right now, outside of our church. So
I think there is a good possiblity of fellowship within clubs.

Just my 2x2 brick worth of thoughts! : )

Scott Sanburn
--
Member, MichLUG / MichLTC- http://www.michlug.org
Webpages: http://www.scottesanburn.org