 Trains / 17549
Re: Definitions: LUG or LTC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 19:38:55 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steve Barile writes:
Hi All,
I would like to get some feedback from members of LUGs and LTCs on their
opinions of what the differences are. Some areas that I'm interested in are:
goals of the club, public interactions (aka shows/venues), membership
structure/government, fellowship expectations (friends vs acquaintances)...

Here's my thoughts about how this relates to NALUG.  We talked about this a
while ago (2 years?  something like that), and decided specifically not to
be an LTC or to form a "sub" LTC.  Our main effort over the last couple
years as a group has been train displays, but it isn't our main *focus*.
It's just what takes the most time and energy.

From our formation, and by specific intent, we are very informal and kinda
nebulous about what the "club" goals are.  If you're on our mailing list,
you're in NALUG.

Our public relations are mostly through train shows, although recently
that's expanded by other groups finding out about us and getting in touch
with us, rather than the other way around.  We aren't exactly pro-active
about things. ;p

I think that we've not needed to give many of these things significant
thought, as we're pretty small by some of the US LUG standards; only around
6-8 members are really active, although there's another 3-4 that do things
sometimes and maybe another 3-4 on the mailing list that are pretty much
inactive.

Mostly we're about not being lonely geeks with our weird hobby, but being
social geeks with out weird hobby. :)

JAmes