 Off-Topic / Geek / 647
Re: Lowest Common Denominator (was: Re: Lego.com - new look)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 21:01:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> writes:
[...]
Another interesting twist on that -- but a different way:  A larger, or more
specific, common thing between us is that we're both *male* geeks.  But now
if one makes the statement, "male geeks aren't very common," then that's
probably more false than it is true, given the assumptions the listener
probably makes (that "male geeks" is being compared to "all geeks" rather
than to "all people").

Oh my.  So, which of the following statements is more common-English-true
than the other?

   1) Male nurses are uncommon.
   2) Male geeks are uncommon.

Now which of those statements is more Math-true than the other?  [...]

I forgot adult LEGO-ness!  It's a wonderful opportunity to make a very
confusing and misleading true statment!  :)  :)

   Male adult LEGO fans are quite uncommon.

Hee hee!  It's true!!  :)

--Todd