 General / 8663
Re: Lego.com - new look
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 17:01:26 GMT

[Followup-to lugnet.off-topic.geek]

Alan Bedford <apotomeREMOVE-THIS@execulink.com> wrote:
I was expecting some contrary comments on my post, but wasn't really
expecting a debate on semantics.  :)

*grin*

As far the expression being 'useless' I would have to disagree on that
point.  A quick string search on Altavista showed more than 10,000 web
pages that use that expression.  A similar search under the phrase
"greatest common denominator" revealed less than 200.

Oh, certainly an amazing number of people use it wrongly. But a lot of
people also say that they "could care less", when they mean that they
couldn't.

People don't think about what they're saying; they just want to get the word
"low" in there somewhere. They could say "design for the (unfortunately low)
greatest common denominator", if the want.

For the example of TV: "greatest common denominator" would mean "the highest
quality of content that everybody can understand" (which is obviously pretty
low *sigh*). The "lowest common denominator" would be "is the TV on".

Ok, so in the case of TV, the "lowest" phrase may make sense. *grin*
But with HTML, you want to design for the greatest you can that will look
good and work well for everyone. You _could_ design for the least, but that
would probably be "straight ASCII text".

This is absolutely true.  And no matter what expression is used to describe
the principle, it would seem that LEGO has dropped the ball when it comes
to their website.

Obviously I agree. Probably the same thing could be said of their Town Jr
sets....