 Off-Topic / Geek / 3651
Re: review: Radeon 7000 for BrickDraw3D, low-end Mac
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 02:40:31 GMT

foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu (J.D. Forinash) writes:
William R Ward  <bill@wards.net> wrote:
I've got a CGA card that's truly frightening - it's an 8-bit ISA card
that is full of 74xx chips.  It takes up the entire maximum card size
of the AT case.  You know how they always had those rails for holding
cards waaay over on the other end of the motherboard, but very few
cards were long enough to reach them?  This one reaches them.  I
actually used it for a while on a 386 when I was running a BBS.  It
works great with monitors for the Commodore 128.  But I thought tha
CGA was 16 color 320x200.  You sure it was only 4-color?

Depends on the mode, actually. You could only do graphics in four
colors, or text in eight, but the card knew how to display 16 total.
You could do either the bright or not-so-bright eight text colors, or
the graphics could be one of two four-color palettes (white, cyan, magenta,
and black, or orange, green, yellow, and black).

I see.  I was talking about text mode, you were talking about graphics
mode.

--Bill.