 Off-Topic / Geek / 3646
Re: review: Radeon 7000 for BrickDraw3D, low-end Mac
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 23:20:38 GMT

foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu (J.D. Forinash) writes:
In article <GuoEp5.L6t@lugnet.com>, Dan Boger <dan@peeron.com> wrote:
not that bad - most bioses I saw give an option saying "ignore errors at
boot" - it'll still beep, but will move on...  then again, I think there
actually is some sort of video card installed in the box, though I've no
idea, really...

That'll get you around stuff like "Keyboard not detected" (or the
IBM version, which was "No keyboard present, press <F1> to continue"), or
"I have no idea what floppy drive you're talking about", but that BIOS
setting won't get you past the stuff that requires beep or LED POST codes,
like base 64k ram failure or no video card present. You have to get far
enough that the BIOS is actually running the show before that setting does
you any good.

So put a Hercules MDA video card in it!  :-) (That's the old
monochrome standard, from the days when color monitors were rare on
PC's.)

I've got a storage locker full of old computer crap that I'd love to
get rid of, but I can't quite bring myself to just scrap it.  Free to
anybody who wants to pay shipping (I'm in Mountain View, CA) or if
you're local, can just pick it up...

I've got several VLB and ISA video cards, serial/parallel/IDE/floppy
cards, slow internal modems, NE2000-compatible ethernet, 286/386/486
motherboards w/ CPU, AT and ATX cases, monitors, etc. etc. etc.

--Bill.