 Off-Topic / Geek / 3644
Re: review: Radeon 7000 for BrickDraw3D, low-end Mac
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:04:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, John D. Forinash writes:
I personally consider something like LIDS to be a better solution--
Mandatory Access Control added on top of Unix. You can restrict, file
by file, access-- so, for example, you can set the log files to have
only "append only" access; you can't modify 'em except for adding to the
end. You can set it up so that any file you don't need append access to
for logging have _no_ writable access-- even by root. (Mandatory Access
Control is cool that way.)  Shutting down processes that arent the kernel
gets you in a position where you have no logging and therefore no real
intrusion detection.

Every Linux firewall I've seen is done differently. I have mine all
installed on a write-protected floppy (no HD), I re-compiled syslog to use a
different config file, hidden away as inconspicuously as possible, and it
logs to my main server. At least if it's hacked I *know* I've got some info
about what's happened, and can reset it by just cycling the power.

Of course it has a few other tricks to deter the hackers, too...

ROSCO