 Off-Topic / Geek / 3636
Re: review: Radeon 7000 for BrickDraw3D, low-end Mac
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:00:39 GMT

In article <GuEoz7.BCH@lugnet.com>, Dan Boger <dan@peeron.com> wrote:
hey, it's not a 386, but our home firewall is a 486 with 7M or RAM :)  and
our mailserver/fileserver/wireless firewall is a P90...  I was thinking of
putting a streaming mp3 server on it too... *grin*

Most likely, that 486 actually has 8 1MB SIMMs under the hood, and it claims
it has 7168k or so due to caching ("shadowing") the video BIOS ROM, the
system BIOS ROM...

...Being a firewall, you can probably at least get away with turning off the
video ROM shadow (in the BIOS setup stuff), and get some of that back for
real use.

Of course, being a firewall, it probably didn't need even all 7 meg, either. :)

I gave up. I decided it wasn't worth arguing with ancient hardware when a
hundred bucks buys a Linksys filtering router and the one machine that's
visible had to be hardened anyow since it's a webswerver... Of course, it
was much easier to justify that $100 when the 486 I was using had the video
card go south on me, and I didn't have any ISA or VLB video boards lying
around unused...

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
jd@forinash.not                                  ( <