 Off-Topic / Geek / 2708
Re: Geeks and Toys on Netslaves
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:09:17 GMT

In article <G7FBEM.GFx@lugnet.com>, Tom Reed <Merthyn1@webtv.net> wrote:
I don't classify myself as a geek!  I'm a firefighter!  But, I am partial to
geeks! hehheheh  If I had to tip the scale, it would probably fall into the
geek catagory!  I would think that the majority of computer/internet users
would fall that way!

I dunno; there are a lot of computer/internet users out there who most
certainly are _not_ geeks.

On the other hand, just because you're a firefighter doesn't mean you're
not a geek, either. :) And many of the computer professionals I work with
aren't geeks.

I do think, even looking outside lugnet, that there is a high correlation
between geeks and AFOLs-- one of the things that makes a geek a geek is a
desire to know how things are done, how they work, and how to recreate
them, and building Lego works toward honing all those things.

On the other hand, I suspect there's a category of AFOLs that just
consider Lego sets to be the ABS equivalent of Beanie Babies, so maybe
I'm wrong about the strong correlation...

In my case, I'm definitely an AFOL (for limited values of A) geek. I'm
a computer system administrator for a living, tying up the loose ends
on a bachelor's degree in computer science in my spare time, and  part
of my "fun" time is spent administering my home LAN. My other interests
include auto racing (SCCA Solo II) and, well, Lego.

On the third hand, I also tend to think of Solo II people as being highly
correlated with geeks, so maybe I'm just looking at myself and coloring
my views with that projection...

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu                            ( <