 General / 26821
Re: Geeks and Toys on Netslaves
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:51:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeff Shiner writes:

Are the majority of AFOLs geeks?  Or... more to the point...

What variety of occupations/interests does the Lugnet community and AFOLs in
general represent?

Keep in mind that there will be two very different answers.  The adult
community on Lugnet comprises that segment of AFOLs that a) have heard of it,
and b) choose to participate.

I suspect that A and B are largely concurrent, but the fact is that if someone
doesn't use the internet much, or at all, they won't be here.  So you're likely
to get a higher percentage of geek-related AFOLs by polling Lugnet than by,
say, calling all the AFOLs that get the S@H catalogue in the mail and asking
them what they do for a living.

In other words, there might be a lot of short-order cooks who play with LEGO,
but unless that short-order cook ALSO spends plenty of time on the Internet,
they aren't going to be on Lugnet.

All of that said, I manage the relationships between the company I work for (a
major ISP) and the telcos outside of the USA that provide us with circuits.  I
used to work in our Network Operations Center, where I worked (often with said
telcos) to repair said circuits when they broke.

eric