 Off-Topic / Geek / 2329
Re: Relativity Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 18:48:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Miller writes:

Acceleration definitely plays into it. *All* clocks in non-accelerating
motion relative to an observer run slow by his/her frame of reference. (Thus
potentially causing arguments about what order things happened in.) But I
still don't get what determines who is the inertial observer and who is the
noninertial one.

  Not quite sure what you mean by "inertial" and "noninertial," since as you
point out previously *everyone* is moving.  However, within a local inertial
frame the Doppler shift of light can be identified to be of a particular
character (I don't have the equations handy).  Someone accelerating out of
that inertial frame would experience additional doppler shift, by which we
can determine who is the mover relative to the frame. The stationary
observer will experience no such change to doppler shift.
  Having said that, I anticipate a followup question will be "but who's to
say the whole inertial frame isn't accelerating away from the ship, and then
what happens to time dilation?"  Hmm...

     Dave!