 Off-Topic / Geek / 2297
Re: Relativity Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 21:23:20 GMT

(trimmed out .space - they don't care!)

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 08:56:55PM +0000, Dave Schuler wrote:
laf.  That's the paradox.  I think we won't know until we try it.  I've seen
physicists get cross eyed thinking about it.  Some say that _no_ time
will pass at all!

  As I understand it, the time dilation will occur for the occupant of the
fast-moving ship, who will experience dilation relative to the stationery
observer.  The traveler won't notice the slowing of time, since everything
in his frame of reference will likewise be slowed.  As such, the stationery
observer is the one who will experience 20 years' worth of time.

but isn't that the whole point of relativity?  who's moving and who's
standing still?

--
Dan Boger / dan@peeron.com / www.peeron.com / ICQ: 1130750
<set:1710_1>:  Snow Scooter (LEGO/SYSTEM/Town/Rescue), '94, 23 pcs, 1 figs