 Off-Topic / Geek / 2334
Re: Relativity Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 20:36:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jay Jacinto writes:

For example:  an observer accelerating away from a stationary observer would
experience the sensation of acceleration.  Conversely, the stationary observer
would experience a gravitational field generated by the Universe accelerating
from the other observer.  So neither could determine which is in the
accelerated inertia frame.  Thus, all motion including acceleration is
relative.

  Well, thanks for throwing a monkey wrench into it for me.  How do the
famous de-synchronized clocks fit into this?  Obviously one of them slowed
down relative to the other.  Do we infer that the ground-based clock
decelerated sufficiently to speed up time's local passage?  I thought I had
a handle on this, but now I see I'm missing something.

Also the doppler shift measured by each observer will be the same, all
acceleration does is add an additional term as determined by the Lorentz
transformation.

  Hmm.  This is the part that always messes me up.  So if there is a distant
star whose light we see as red-shifted, and X is standing on Earth, while Y
takes off at .9c toward the distant star, will both X and Y perceive the
same red-shift?

     Dave!