 Off-Topic / Geek / 2302
Re: Relativity Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 22:08:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dan Boger writes:
(trimmed out .space - they don't care!)

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 08:56:55PM +0000, Dave Schuler wrote:
laf.  That's the paradox.  I think we won't know until we try it.  I've seen
physicists get cross eyed thinking about it.  Some say that _no_ time
will pass at all!

  As I understand it, the time dilation will occur for the occupant of the
fast-moving ship, who will experience dilation relative to the stationery
observer.  The traveler won't notice the slowing of time, since everything
in his frame of reference will likewise be slowed.  As such, the stationery
observer is the one who will experience 20 years' worth of time.

but isn't that the whole point of relativity?  who's moving and who's
standing still?

  Well, I usually like to consider myself the Lorenz Reference Point of the
universe, so it's anyone who's accelerating relative to me!

  Seriously, I see what you're saying--to the person in the ship, the
"stationary observer" (which, by the way, I mistyped as "stationery
observer," who spends his time watching envelopes) appear to accelerate away
in the opposite direction.  To which I say, let me think about it.  I'm at
work now and have to leave in about a minute, but I know I have some
material on this subject at home.  I'll post an actual reply a little later.
  As a quick thought, I think the occupant of the ship, who is moving
relative to the inertial reference frame of the stationary observer, which
includes the space around the observer.  Local space as a whole isn't moving
away with the traveler, so the time dilation occurs for the person leaving
the inertial reference frame.

   More later,
     Dave!