 Off-Topic / Geek / 2291
Re: Relativity Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 20:31:53 GMT

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 08:25:06PM +0000, Jude Beaudin wrote:
If a ship travels for 5 light years at .5c, for whom will the trip take 10
years? The occupants or an observer outside the ship?

heh.  depending who you ask.  for the dude in the ship, the _world_ is moving
at .5c, and so the world is aging slower.  (btw, it's not a 1/x ratio,
I think it's closer to a 1/x^2, but highschool was a long time ago...).
For the people on earth, the ship is moving at .5c, and therefore the
people on the ship will age slower.

I think.  IANAP :P

--
Dan Boger / dan@peeron.com / www.peeron.com / ICQ: 1130750
<set:1490_1>:  Bank (LEGO/SYSTEM/Town), '90, 3 figs