 Off-Topic / Geek / 2303
Re: Relativity Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 22:10:43 GMT

Let me rephrase the question:
If a man travels on a ship away from earth for 5 light
years at .5c, then returns to earth at .5c, who will have
aged 20 years, the occupant or his twin who stayed on
earth?

Jude

I think the answer is that we'll all grow old faster by stressing
ourselves out trying to solve this. :-)

Don't forget that the Theory of Relativity is just that, a theory. Also,
it's based on the assumed constant of the speed of light. The problem is
that the speed of light may *not* be a constant. See
http://www.google.com/search?q=speed+of+light+broken for plenty of
background on that.

Also, c, by definition, is measured by the time scale. If the ToR is
true, the scale (time) is modified by a distance moved in... a length of
time. How do we measure it then?

For that matter, isn't time based on bodies moving through space anyway?
After all, when you come right down to it, the clock is just an
electronic sun-dial. So if you move away from the orbit of the earth
around the sun, wouldn't that change your view of the system that we use
to measure time, and therefore affect the way you tell time?

Is anyone else as confused by my post as I am? Stopping before my head
explodes.

--
later...    Jer
irvinej@accuvera.com