 Off-Topic / Geek / 1504
1503  |  1505
Subject:
TMTOWTDI (was: Re: NQC in Boston University Linux :))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 17:41:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dan Boger writes:
[...] As for perl/python, well, I like
having more than one way of doing things...  the quick and dirty
solution, and the incredibly elegant one... and about 50 in between.
That way, my poor little brain doesn't have to come up with the one
great one, it can do with the one-that-is-almost-but-no-quite-so-great
one :)

I'd like to take a close look at Python someday, but I doubt I'll end up
using it if it's got the frustrations of other syntactically challenged
languages.  (My favorite programming languages are Perl, PostScript, and
LISP/Scheme/Logo for their extreme flexibility and expressability of
semantics and syntax...although I can't say I truly enjoy LISP or PostScript.)

I wanna add to above that, in addition to quickness vs. elegance, I'm also
very pleased with Perl's TMTOWTDI philosophy on everday things like 'if' and
'unless' and 'and' and 'or' and order-switching.

Even in very carefully written code, I might prefer any of

   ref $foo or die "blah";   # assertion that $foo should be a reference

or

   !ref $foo and die "blah";   # assertion that $foo should not be a scalar

or

   if (!ref $foo) { die "blah"; }   # dies for some $foo; emphasis on test

or

   unless (ref $foo) { die "blah"; }   # dies for most $foo; emphasis on test

or

   die "blah" if !ref $foo;   # dies for some $foo; emphasis on die

or

   die "blah" unless ref $foo;   # dies for most $foo; emphasis on die

depending on the nature of the test.  I tend to use the 'or' (and on rare
occasions 'and') for assertions and 'if'/'unless' for regular conditions.
Having a choice of 6 (and more) ways to write the same thing makes the code
clearer IMHO because it contains more information; it suggests more than
simply what's there semantically in the compiled code.

I feel crippled in a langage which forces me to write all of the above a
single way -- and not just for quick-hack code.

--Todd