 Off-Topic / Geek / 1497
Re: NQC in Boston University Linux :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 14:41:41 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Dan Boger <dan@giccs.georgetown.edu> wrote:
yah, true...  but I'm bad about using rpm anyhow, I end up compiling my
own stuff most of the time... I know I shouldn't, but it's a habit I'll
have to un-learn...

Didn't I lecture you about this before? *grin*

no, even worse... it just stopped, no backtrace - it gave me a warning
that it couldn't umount the filesystems, and just sat there.  Wasn't
hung, but wouldn't go back or retry...  had to reboot and make sure I'm
not playing in the mounted dir while the install is running...

Hmm; I wonder how the 6.0 installer deals with that case. (It's generally
better about error conditions. (Although, one of the improvements I've made
is that it auto-retries once if an ftp connection doesn't respond. (Which
happens just about every time if you pick individual packages, since it
connects to get the list of packages, then lets you pick, a process which
often takes longer than the standard ftp timeout. (Although actually, we've
got a better components set than RH's (IMHO), so there's less need to pick
individual packages.))))

on as soon as possible. If it's not, I may look at using Mandrake's
installer instead.
isn't it RH based too?

Initially it was. They've gone off on a tangent. I haven't gotten a chance
to look at it, but I think their GUI installer is all new code. Maybe I'm
wrong....

yah, I hear some perl/python wars and most of the time the argument is
that perl looks like line noise...  while it can, it doesn't have to...
But I'll prob end up learning python as well, just cause it might come
in useful.  Is it really that diff from perl?  C?

The major difference is: perl says "There's more than one way to do it",
while python says "There is one best way to do it, and here it is."

I make the python:perl = indonesian:english analogy on purpose. Indonesian
is a largely synthetic language, free from confusing things like verb
tenses, irregularities, and complicated plurals. English is a language which
happily grows by grabbing anything we think is good from any other language.
It may not be as logical as Indonesian often is, but it's very very
expressive, with a lot of room for nuance and flavor. (And quite popular,
largely because of that.)