 Off-Topic / Geek / 1496
Re: NQC in Boston University Linux :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 12:08:16 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:

  - kerberos5 support (urg. we use kerberos4, so that's
                        more annoying than helpful)
  - 128 bit netscape navigator by default
  - includes gnupg
  - telnet, finger, etc. are split into client-server packages (also, a
                         lot of daemons are off by default)
  - many many many packages updated -- probably lots of bugfixes. Some
    for security problems that RH never put out alerts for (ie dump).

How are you dealing with export issues for Kerberos, gnupg, and
netscape?  Do you offer bones and slimmed down netscape/gnupg
encryption?  Or do you just restrict access with FTP banners and the
like?

If you don't mind, I might like to pick your brain about how you did this.
We've recently started supporting RedHat at NCSA, but right now it's
not a full-blown effort (I wrote up some docs on Kerberos 5/AFS install
stuff, then send someoe over to do it all by hand on the system).  So I've
been thinking about trying to "roll our own", but I'm not sure if it will take
more time or not.  But what I really want to do is be able to let this manage
itself after a while so that I can focus on things like the email
infrastructure
redesign.

I think I'm babbling -- I just woke up and am not quite lucid...  :)

Anyhow, I'm curious how many man hours and what kind of resources it
took to get this set up, and how hard you anticipate it being to keep things
up-to-date....

Chris (who also has to go find his glasses -- sorry about any typos :)

--
Remove the nospam machine name in my email address to send a personal reply.