 Off-Topic / Geek / 1495
Re: NQC in Boston University Linux :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 04:49:43 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:

Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote:
Major differences are:

Oh yeah: those major differences are RH 6.[01] -> RH 6.2. RH 6.2 -> BULinux:

- includes nqc :)

yup, I installed it in /usr/local for all the dept. :)

- uses bash version 2; none of this bash w/ optional "bash2" silliness

bash?  zsh :)

- kerberos4 (via a pam module -- much nicer than needing every app to be
              made to support krb4)

nod, pam is nice.

- autorpm gets (and optionally auto-installs) our gpg-signed updates
- includes openssh (since we're educational, we can link against rsaref)
- includes more stuff -- aspell, abiword, bsdgames, curl (w/ssl), gaim
            (ugh, but popular request), lavaps, memtest86, nasm, nethack,
            sudo, vacation, weblint, etc

nog... heh, if you have to put gaim, put licq too?  (unless gaim is not
what I think it is...)

- includes baseline, our in-house network-based tripwire-like system

mmmm... tripwire - let's me snoop on the other admins :)  which is good,
since I have to figure out what they're breaking.

- includes Donald Becker's ethernet card utils
- experimental afs support via arla

hmmm... definitely want to look at afs.  what about coda?

- has pretty BU Linux logos

:)

- includes WindowMaker session-type option (if you don't like either Gnome
   or KDE)

fvwm!

- network install autoconfigured for our network/servers

always good.

- xntpd configured to sync with our timeservers

nod, cool.

- modified lilo (yay asm coding) supports password=* option, which, in
   combination with the restricted flag, makes it possible to configure lilo
   to be secure by default. (no init=/bin/sh)

I always thought it was there by default - you could put a password so
you couldn't enter parameters without it... no?

- /etc/nsswitch.conf isn't broken by default (no references to nis. if
   nis is enabled, a different nsswitch.conf with nis support gets copied in)
- ph, for doing lookups in our qi database
- useradd -K automatically sets up an account compliant with our global UID
   system (necessary for backups, and a @#!$ good idea for kerberos).
   accounts with UID < 3000 are considered local and won't kerberos
   authenticate.
- rshd intentionally broken. Our operations people are really attached to
   it and won't do backups for machines without it running (they like it for
   admin purposes; it's not technically necessary). Unfortunately, it's evil
   and makes security headaches multiply like rats in the back bay in
   spring. So our version only allows connects from key operations machines.

r*d... booooo.

- sendmail runs in _client_ mode by default. (duh.) Also, expn and vrfy
   disabled. Considering moving to postfix.

nodnod

- NOTHING enabled in inetd by default. (but we do run it anyway -- admins
   expect to be able to just uncomment a line and have stuff go)

heheh.  interesting idea.

- hosts.allow/hosts.deny locked down by default (ssh allowed, that's all)

nog.

- if root runs X, a full screen message pops up explaining why that's
   discouraged. (future plague of linux virii, mark my words...)

nod - but I believe if you do that, you deserve what you get...  gnome
warns of it too, no?

- lotsa other cosmetic and small changes

cool - sounds a lot like what I end up tuning our machines to, which
takes about 20 mins...  but if I had to install 100s of boxes, I might
look into this BUL :P

:)

Dan