 Off-Topic / Geek / 1500
Re: NQC in Boston University Linux :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 15:05:37 GMT

Christopher Lindsey <lindsey@nospam.mallorn.com> wrote:
How are you dealing with export issues for Kerberos, gnupg, and
netscape?  Do you offer bones and slimmed down netscape/gnupg
encryption?  Or do you just restrict access with FTP banners and the
like?

Right now, it's restricted by IP address to just BU campus. My understanding
is that with the relaxed export restrictions, we're all good and could just
have a warning banner asking people for whom it is illegal to please go
away. But I'm waiting on word from legal people here.

If you don't mind, I might like to pick your brain about how you did this.

Sure, pick away. :) One of my side-projects is going to be setting up a
UniLinux mailing list, for universities working on similar projects.
(There's quite a few.)

Anyhow, I'm curious how many man hours and what kind of resources it
took to get this set up, and how hard you anticipate it being to keep things
up-to-date....

Lots to set up originally. I've been working non-stop on it since the
beginning of the year, with some help from about four other people (+
testers). I'm firmly of the belief that this initial effort is worth it --
it will reduce a lot of effort later, especially in security incidents.

As for keeping things up to date, well, we'll see. Had a taste of how
that'll be when moving from RH 6.2beta to RH 6.2 final (which was a fairly
significant change, due to the addition of all the krb5 stuff). That took
about two days -- not bad. And, it's all work that otherwise needs to be
done on a system-by-system basis.