 Off-Topic / Geek / 1489
Re: NQC in Boston University Linux :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 03:31:46 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Dan Boger <dan@giccs.georgetown.edu> wrote:
cool :)  Heh, did you look at 6.2 yet?  I installed it today, though I
haven't noticed any major difference yet...

Oh man, have I ever looked at it. This release of BU Linux is actually based
on RH 6.2.

Major differences are:

  - kerberos5 support (urg. we use kerberos4, so that's
                        more annoying than helpful)
  - 128 bit netscape navigator by default
  - includes gnupg
  - telnet, finger, etc. are split into client-server packages (also, a
                         lot of daemons are off by default)
  - many many many packages updated -- probably lots of bugfixes. Some
    for security problems that RH never put out alerts for (ie dump).

Maybe less major, but of interest:
  - man pages are gzipped
  - xinitrc uses an xinitrc.d script dir scheme
  - includes beowulf-style clustering tech (this is more of a marketing
    point than actually useful to include in the distro)
  - they fixed color-ls so it actually works by default
  - less is configured to be able to look inside compressed files, and get
    info from rpms, etc.
  - some stuff from powertools now included (mesa, for example)
  - xfs init script deals with running mkfontdir -- very nifty.

I don't know much about the 6.2 installer -- the network install in 6.1 and
the 6.2beta was still really flaky so I'm basing ours on the 6.0 installer.
(The 6.1/6.2 version was rewritten from scratch in python; a great idea in
theory (if you look at the mess that is the 6.0 installer source, you'll see
what I mean) but in practice, it's not as robust as the tried-and-true
(however ugly the source) version from 6.0.)

btw, since you're at BU, have you ever heard of Three Kingdoms, or more
commonly, 3K?  ;)

Isn't that a period of Chinese history?

[ --> .off-topic.geek ]