 Off-Topic / Geek / 1491
Re: NQC in Boston University Linux :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 03:58:23 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Dan Boger <dan@giccs.georgetown.edu> wrote:
cool - I just installed it today, as an upgrade, so I didn't notice most
of these... I upgraded the daemons myself as they came out, and wouldn't
let it touch my inetd.conf, so a lot of these would be missed on me.
Still cool.

Yeah -- disabling unnecessary servers is good, but not even installing them
is better. Before, if you wanted the finger client [1], uou had to install
the finger server, which is kinda silly.

the installer didn't crash as terribly, but it did freak out when it
couldn't umount the /mnt/sysimage dirs...  could still be better.

Did it freak out and still let you continue? That would be a vast
improvement from the earlier versions I looked at, which tended to
completely die (w/ 14 pages of python traceback -- real user-friendly, guys)
at any little excuse.

I'm hoping that in a few months, the stability is such that it'll be a good
base for our next release -- the 6.0 code is ugly enough that I want to move
on as soon as possible. If it's not, I may look at using Mandrake's
installer instead.

I'm in the process of learning python; it seems like a nice enough language.
If only the python zealots weren't so anti-perl -- they're being terribly
unfair. It's not like python is to perl and unix is to msdos/win, but to
hear people talk, you'd think so. (It's more like python is to perl as
indonesian is to english....)

btw, since you're at BU, have you ever heard of Three Kingdoms, or more
commonly, 3K?  ;)
Isn't that a period of Chinese history?

heheh, naw...  It's an LP Mud that started there about 6 years ago... it
moved since (when BU started complaining about the load on the
network/computer...) but it's still running.  Prob one of the oldest and
biggest (if not THE oldest/biggest) mud still around... :)

Ah. I've only been at BU for a few years....

[1] and wanted to use the package manager [2], and didn't want to make your own
packages.
[2] which you probably should. :)