 Off-Topic / Geek / 1490
Re: NQC in Boston University Linux :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 03:40:19 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:

Oh man, have I ever looked at it. This release of BU Linux is actually based
on RH 6.2.

[snip a lot of differences]

cool - I just installed it today, as an upgrade, so I didn't notice most
of these... I upgraded the daemons myself as they came out, and wouldn't
let it touch my inetd.conf, so a lot of these would be missed on me.
Still cool.

I don't know much about the 6.2 installer -- the network install in 6.1 and
the 6.2beta was still really flaky so I'm basing ours on the 6.0 installer.
(The 6.1/6.2 version was rewritten from scratch in python; a great idea in
theory (if you look at the mess that is the 6.0 installer source, you'll see
what I mean) but in practice, it's not as robust as the tried-and-true
(however ugly the source) version from 6.0.)

the installer didn't crash as terribly, but it did freak out when it
couldn't umount the /mnt/sysimage dirs...  could still be better.

btw, since you're at BU, have you ever heard of Three Kingdoms, or more
commonly, 3K?  ;)

Isn't that a period of Chinese history?

heheh, naw...  It's an LP Mud that started there about 6 years ago... it
moved since (when BU started complaining about the load on the
network/computer...) but it's still running.  Prob one of the oldest and
biggest (if not THE oldest/biggest) mud still around... :)

:)

Dan