 Off-Topic / Geek / 1279
Re: Another request to LDlite programmers...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 15:04:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Miller writes:
In my (humble, of course) opinion, the 6.1/6.2 installer is terribly broken.
I've decided to base the install for the BU Linux distro on RH's 6.0
installer instead of the new one.

yah, that fits my experience with their install - you say that the 6.2 isn't
any better?  I havn't tried it yet...

The thing is, the 6.1/6.2 installer is totally rewritten from scratch in
python. I found out _why_ as I started delving in to adapting the older
installer for our needs -- the 6.0 install program seems to have been
written by a bunch of monkeys on crack. That's not quite fair, but really,
it's very messy and full of dirty hacks and kludges, with a lot of features
(notably, kickstart) shoehorned in afterwards. The 6.1 installer is an
attempt to do things right. Unfortunately, while the 6.0 version (for all its
internal flaws) is very robust and works reliably (almost) every time, the
6.1 installer dies if you sneeze, giving you 14 pages of python traceback.

nod - I ran into that trying to upgrade 6.0 to 6.1 in place, and failing
misrably...  ended up going a full install.  (yay partitioning and NFS :)

Am I missing something?  Did I burn the CD wrong?  (I don't think so, since • it
didn't even ask me where am I installing from)

Possible. I always do network installs, so I'm not sure of all the possible
CD-install pitfalls. Did it say which driver it's looking for? (Try looking
on the other virtual consoles...)

Good point, I should look at that... on VC1 it didn't say a thing, but I do
remember (now) that it spits out stuff on VCs 2-5....  I always do a network
install at work, but not at home, with a 28K modem. :P

Dan