 CAD / 3586
Re: Another request to LDlite programmers...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 07:00:07 GMT

You could use MLCad for this feature. The program supports so called
RotationSteps which rotate the model and stop drawing (or generate a picture).
To make a rotating model, you have to append several rotation steps at the end
of the dat file and MLCad will generate pictures for every RotationStep.

Michael

In lugnet.cad, Karim Nassar writes:

Hi all,

Sorry to continually harp on this, but if Paul, or anyone else who is • currently
"into" the LDlite code would look into a feature implementation, I would be
forever greatful.

The current version of LDlite has a feature "rotate model after drawing" which
as far as I can tell has no real practical use... If it is used in conjunction
with "save step files" it save one series of files, rotates the model and then
proceeds to overwrite the original series with a new series of files.

Now, I am only an amature programmer and don't know C, but it seems to me that
it shouldn't be too hard to change this feature so that when both "save step
files" and "rotate model after drawing" are on, then LDlite knows to save out
discrete series of files, one for each rotation. Now for a model with several
steps, this will result in LOTS of files, each with a unique name.  I
believe that "rotate models..." uses a 10 degree increment, so using alpha
delineation would not work (too many rotations).  The issue of file name
trucation could be handled by LDLite creating a directory structure for the
file array like so:

Initial File: foofoo.dat
contains 8 steps.

if "save step files" is selected, then LDlite outputs:
foofoo1.dat, foofoo2.dat, foofoo3.dat, foofoo4.dat, ... foofoo8.dat

If both "save steps" and "rotate drawing" are selected, then LDlite outputs:
foofooVR/rot_0d/foofoo1.dat, foofoo2.dat, ... foofoo8.dat
        rot_10d/foofoo1.dat, foofoo2.dat, ... foofoo8.dat
        rot_20d/foofoo1.dat, foofoo2.dat, ... foofoo8.dat
        rot_30d/foofoo1.dat, foofoo2.dat, ... foofoo8.dat
        rot_360d/foofoo1.dat, foofoo2.dat, ... foofoo8.dat

With this directory structure, one could then open up QuicktimeVR or Kaidan
ObjectWorx and construct a QTVR array (rows = rotations, columns = steps) and
present a fully interactive set of instructions for the model over the web,
where the user could rotate each step of the model display by "rolling"
horizontally and advance thorugh the model steps by "rolling" the model
vertically.

Please, please, please, somebody fix this! :) :)

--Karim