 CAD / 3587
Re: Minimalist LDraw on floppy?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 07:06:21 GMT

I think this is a great idea. I was thinking about a similar thing, where
MLCad would load full updates from the internet, and install it onto the
machine.
However searching unknown parts on the internet is a very good idea too, but
would require (for easiest operation) that we have one dedicated download-
side, where we can download every single file.
Also an automatic part-update would be possible, if we add a certain meta-
command to the parts which give it a version, so a program could look on the
internet for a list of part-versions, compare it with the loaded parts and
download newer or totaly new parts.

From the programming point of view it's an easy task for MLCad, but I don't
know about the others.

Michael

In lugnet.cad, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
...With 13 Mb of parts files, yeah right.  Bummer.  :-(

However, it would be really really really cool if LDLite, MLCad, etc. would
load parts from a URL as needed.  In my view, agreeing upon a transmission
protocol for this is probably the highest priority for renderer authors right
now, perhaps next to backface culling.  It couldn't be that much more work;
you'd basically be tacking a URL onto the search path and the actual download
could be a simple HTTP GET.

And this time I can contribute.  I'm willing to put time into writing the
download code.

Yay?  Nay?  Comments?

Another thought on this:  how about giving an option for saving the downloaded
parts in LDRAW/P or LDRAW/PARTS (or in subdirs as needed), to help speed up
future renderings using the same parts.  With this, getting updates from the
parts library would be incredibly simple for the end-user.  (But perhaps not
so simple for the maintainers of the download area.)  Then again, new
downloaded parts would need a way of getting into the user's PARTS.LST
file...  But on the gripping hand, PARTS.LST is only used for browsing for
parts in LEdit, and is largely unnecessary if you're using Steve's awesome
partsref, and can always be regenerated anyway.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society