 CAD / 3581
3580  |  3582
Subject:
Minimalist LDraw on floppy?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 23:08:24 GMT

...With 13 Mb of parts files, yeah right.  Bummer.  :-(

However, it would be really really really cool if LDLite, MLCad, etc. would
load parts from a URL as needed.  In my view, agreeing upon a transmission
protocol for this is probably the highest priority for renderer authors right
now, perhaps next to backface culling.  It couldn't be that much more work;
you'd basically be tacking a URL onto the search path and the actual download
could be a simple HTTP GET.

And this time I can contribute.  I'm willing to put time into writing the
download code.

Yay?  Nay?  Comments?

Another thought on this:  how about giving an option for saving the downloaded
parts in LDRAW/P or LDRAW/PARTS (or in subdirs as needed), to help speed up
future renderings using the same parts.  With this, getting updates from the
parts library would be incredibly simple for the end-user.  (But perhaps not
so simple for the maintainers of the download area.)  Then again, new
downloaded parts would need a way of getting into the user's PARTS.LST
file...  But on the gripping hand, PARTS.LST is only used for browsing for
parts in LEdit, and is largely unnecessary if you're using Steve's awesome
partsref, and can always be regenerated anyway.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society