 Off-Topic / Fun / 6998
Re: Calling it Quits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 03:53:55 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:
"Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Insults take two people. Yes, one can chose not to be insulted, but the
one delivering the insult isn't blameless (and your last sentence there
is certainly insulting, you are in effect saying that Richard is a
lesser person because he was insulted by this mess, consider what you
have just said).

If I jump into a flaming post, and someone jumps on me I am kind of
expecting that not everyone is going to be kind. On the other hand if I am
empathizing with someone or having a genuine Lego discussion with someone
and I get flamed out of no where, it can be kind of personal. The joke was
OK, but the flames were unreasonable.

Yes, but on the other hand, the people who get upset about something could stand
to lighten up as well.  I've slipped a couple times and inadvertently ended up
insulting people, which never was my intention.  That stuff happens, and in
cases like that I just need to think of my words better (I'm thinking of one
situation that I feel terrible about, because I totally didn't see it while
posting but reread my post and it could be terribly insulting for the person it
was to.  I apologized publicly and privately, and got no reply either place.)

I am assuming that this is me you are talking about. (our email is down so I
have to post this here) I am not sure what you expect me to say to you. That
everything is OK? That message brought me to tears. You said you were sorry.
I still don't know what prompted such a harsh reply. I really have nothing
to say about this matter at this time.

It is a sad state of affairs when someone can't post a neutral post about
Lego without the possibilty of being flammed. Some kind person responded to
my post about wanting a clearance polar base set from K-mart. I had never
seen her name on LUGNET before. She is a delightful person and we shared
some nice emails. I asked her why she didn't post and she stated that she
hadn't worked up enough courage to do so. Well I can certainly see why she
feels this way and frankly it is VERY sad.

The most important trait that I am teaching my sons is to have empathy
towards others, maybe we need to show more empathy towards others here and
keep the harsh words in our pockets.