 Off-Topic / Fun / 6997
Re: Calling it Quits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 02:54:25 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Mark Sandlin writes:
After much consideration, I've decided to call it quits.

I just wanted to add my two cents--
a) I thought this was pretty funny.
b) I agree with all those who point out that the problem is not with the
initial joke, but with people jumping on each other in the aftermath
c) I don't think that this kind of prank, April Fools or no, harms the
community or the level of discourse  (Todd's comments aside.  I hadn't
realized that some of those people had left.  I spent several years away
from the online community although still actively building, and missed their
departure.  I am saddened by that news, and not having gone through it, am
not attuned to those issues.)

I spent 2-1/2 years pretty heavily in RTL while I was still in college... of
all the discussions that went on there, the one I remember most vividly was
when someone very casually mentioned the Star Wars sets.  This was, what,
1995?  So of course there had been no such thing at the time.   But I was
taken in hook, line, and sinker, as were a number of others.  I only
realized when someone wrote about "Oh yeah, and my favorite was the James
Brown Action Chapel from the Blues Brothers movie, with the only black
minifigs ever produced..."

Yeah, I was a sucker, but that was the funniest part!  And as I say, more
than any other thread on RTL, that's the one that stuck with me and really
defined the community for me.  So I don't think we need to fear this kind of
humor destroying the online community--rather, it's our reactions to it and
our reactions to others we need to fear.  Emotions have gotten way out of
hand on this, with people way too willing to castigate each other.  Let's
tone down the criticisms!

Peter