 Off-Topic / Fun / 5558
Re: Encoding? (was Re: This isn't good enough!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 12:39:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

1 - _Doorways in the Sand_, Roger Zelazny

I've been climbing all up and down the used book stores in the area, and
haven't been able to ind much Zelazny at all.  Lotsa Hubbard, tho...

I have a theory about that. The likelihood of finding something in a used book
store is a function of:

- How much "curb appeal" the book had originally (the more curb appeal, the
more likely it got bought. books that don't get bought don't get sold back to
the used book store)
- How good it was (the better the book, the less likely that it got sold off
instead of kept, and the better the book the less dwell time it will have in
the store before someone buys it)

Most of Zelazny's stuff is so good and so liked by so many, that it's not
likely to be in a book store in the first place and not likely to stay there
long if it does get there. IMHO.

So is this a short story which one may find in an anthology (1), or is it a
novel?

It's a novel. Relatively short as they go. I think it won a Nebula or a Hugo
or maybe both. It's very very good. IMHO.

++Lar