 Off-Topic / Fun / 1895
Re: The Daily Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 18:37:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Hey all,

Fume.  Arg.  Spit.  Gurgle.

The music radio stations here do what they call "45-minute music sets",
where they play 45 minutes of music followe dby 15 minutes (!) of
commercials.  Now, while the DJ will never cut in to tell you what you've
been listening to, they'll intersperse the music with minute-long station
ID's, and not just a few more commercials (1).  Every music station in
northern Utah that I've listened to will do this.

Complaints:

a) It took me the better part of two weeks to find out the name of a new
song I liked.

b) In a 45-minute music set, you'll hear probably 30-35 minues of music and
10-15 minutes of commercials and station ID's.

Is this practice the height of laziness, or what?  Is this common elsewhere?

Second rant:  Writing InstallShield apps.  'Nuff said.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Even worse is watching an opera on BRAVO cable network.  In most cases, they do
not identify the production, cast, conductor or even opera house.  I took me 2
months to determine this basic info on a performance of Rossini's L'Italiana in
Algeri.