 Off-Topic / Fun / 10946
Re: Announcing Classic-Space Forums
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 06:47:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Douglas R. Clark wrote:
   sorry to reply to my own post. I do wish lugnet had an edit feature
CSF does :-)

   I put in a double negative... I meant:

I would say that it doesn’t apply to all who have joined so far. That was my initial gut reaction to the rules though, especially with the relative freedoms we enjoy on lugnet. So, that comment would probably be aimed at the forum owner & moderators (or whomever made up the rules). That is probably too much of a personal attack at this point. For that, I applogize. Lets just say that the potential is there for the forum to degenerate in to a despotic leadership. I will give it some time and see how the first big disagreement is handled. How many posts get deleted and how many people get banned and the reasons behind such actions before I go calling anyone a
While I can’t deny there’s a miniscule potential for despotic leadership, it seems to be the enlargement of an assessment of it that is needlessly scaring a few.

There seems to be a few “what-ifs” about the mods misinterpreting and jumping on people for little provocation, a difference of opinion, or stomping on some poor kid who can’t build to save his life. While I can’t guarantee the occurrance of anything in this universe, especially when lifeforms are concerned, there are some guidelines to reduce the risk of those things, not the least of which is no minors under 13 allowed. It protects everybody, including them.

Other issues raised by a few folks basically boil down to some form of “lack of trust” to “lack of sensitivity”. I have nothing to say about legitimate experiences that warrant these reactions. But after all those feelings have been felt, you’re still there, trying to build Space stuff with your Lego. To that I respond with, “For your part, put it in the past, start again, and overtly attempt to make peace. Get on with it, build better.”

To everybody who reads this please understand I’m not pandering for membership. Join, or not. Take advantage of it, or not.

But if you want a warmer, fuzzier space forum, then make your own. Yes, it can be done. How bad do you want it?

I’m off to space.

-Tom McD.
http://www.spamcake.com