 Off-Topic / Fun / 10940
Re: Announcing Classic-Space Forums
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 02:19:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Steve Runnels wrote:
   I’m not gonna bother refuting points in this one.

There was really nothing to refute. I was merely expressing my OPINIONS about your guidelines. I was asking an honest question about rule #5 though. What does it mean and was it meant to be sarcastic. I have no problem following a set of rules that are understandable.

I also believe that moderating and judging “crappy MOCs” is wrong. How is a “newbie” supposed to grow and learn if their “crappy mocs” are always being deleted? To me that is the most offensive part of your rules. My opinion... I may participate in your discussions but I probably will never post a MOC there. I create to please myself not you or your forum.

One good point, I believe I’m going to change the word “rules” to “guidelines”. They are just guidlines and it’s totaly up to the mods to decide what violates those guidelines and what doesn’t.

The gist of CSF is this: Have fun, don’t be annoying. Your post = annoying. Why? Because I don’t like it? No, because it’s exactly what the “founders/leaders/moderators/whatever” have come to hate about Lugnet: Making big things out of little things.

So, basically, if you don’t get it, too bad.

The thing that you don’t seem to get is that what is a big deal to an individual may be chump-change to another and vice-versa. To me, the beauty of lugnet is that you ARE free to express your opinions and “make big thingies out of little thingies”. In the grand scheme of all the world/universe, a group of nerdy adults playing with childrens’ toys and talking about it on the internet is probably a little thingie.

Trying to defend my little project here, is making me sound more and more like a bad guy, and frankly I don’t care.

I think that there are some people here that are upset and see your actions as divisive within the lego.space community. My only issue was the tone of the guidelines. You could have chosen a softer way to convey the same ideas and probably not turned me off right off the bat. Consider that constructive criticisim rather than an attack.

I seriously did not expect the forum to become as big of a deal as it has, since I started working on it a week ago. But it sure has taken off over the last 2-3 days hasn’t it? Lets just see how it goes, if it’s so uninviting as you say people will leave. And that will only leave us big fish, all alone by ourselves. Seriously, what can it hurt to at least find out?

Thats why I checked it out. I’m not really trying to attack you or your project. I’m just trying to understand the rules of the road before posting there. Since that post would have been modded or deleted... I guess I would have gotten off to a bad start.

I don’t know how your site will prevail over the long term. Only time will tell. Like I said, I do wish you the best of luck.

drc