 Off-Topic / Fun / 10945
Re: Announcing Classic-Space Forums
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 04:26:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Douglas R. Clark wrote:
   I was asking an honest question about rule #5 though. What does it mean and was it meant to be sarcastic.

Of course it was. It’s a shame you don’t get that.

   I also believe that moderating and judging “crappy MOCs” is wrong. How is a “newbie” supposed to grow and learn if their “crappy mocs” are always being deleted? To me that is the most offensive part of your rules. My opinion... I may participate in your discussions but I probably will never post a MOC there. I create to please myself not you or your forum.

Thanks to your questioning, I actually now have a better understanding of what the MOC section is meant to be. I’ll have to clarify this on the forum.

The MOC section is meant as a place to display finsihed MOCs that are to be of inspiration to others. It’s really meant to be more of a gallery than a place to show off every little thing you build. The main forum is the place for that.

How to go about managing this is still up in the air. So things will change, I’m sure.

   The thing that you don’t seem to get is that what is a big deal to an individual may be chump-change to another and vice-versa. To me, the beauty of lugnet is that you ARE free to express your opinions and “make big thingies out of little thingies”. In the grand scheme of all the world/universe, a group of nerdy adults playing with childrens’ toys and talking about it on the internet is probably a little thingie.

   I think that there are some people here that are upset and see your actions as divisive within the lego.space community. My only issue was the tone of the guidelines. You could have chosen a softer way to convey the same ideas and probably not turned me off right off the bat. Consider that constructive criticisim rather than an attack.

The people that are a part of this are brutefully honest, have perhaps a twisted sense of humor and don’t worry about rules so much as making sure things are “right.” So, yes, the “rules” are strong in their wording, but most certainly lighthearted in their meaning. And people who don’t understand that won’t get along with us anyway. So it doesn’t really matter. IMO

I seriously did not expect the forum to become as big of a deal as it has, since I started working on it a week ago. But it sure has taken off over the last 2-3 days hasn’t it? Lets just see how it goes, if it’s so uninviting as you say people will leave. And that will only leave us big fish, all alone by ourselves. Seriously, what can it hurt to at least find out?

Thats why I checked it out. I’m not really trying to attack you or your project. I’m just trying to understand the rules of the road before posting there. Since that post would have been modded or deleted... I guess I would have gotten off to a bad start.

Nah, it wouldn’t have been modded just for questioning, merely explained and perhaps changed if needs be.

   I don’t know how your site will prevail over the long term. Only time will tell. Like I said, I do wish you the best of luck.

Thank you.