 Off-Topic / Fun / 10941
Re: Announcing Classic-Space Forums
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 03:11:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Tom McDonald wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Douglas R. Clark wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Tom McDonald wrote: I just went over and looked around. I read the rules for the space forum and the moc forum. Sounds rather unfriendly to me... don’t know if I’ll ever post there.
First, thanks for visiting. It’s more than some others have admitted to doing.

my only real complaint so far is that I cannot find the scroll bars against the black background. Makes it hard to read longer threads

What the heck is up with rule #5? Maybe you ought to follow your rule #2.
Heh, humor. I love it. CSF’s and yours.

   What is Kevoh anyways and why should I beware of him/it? How the heck am I supposed to follow a rule that doesn’t make any sense? Having that in there seems like you tried to interject a bit of sarcasim/humor; but by doing so kinda invalidates the rest of the rules. “If rule #5 is a joke then are the rest of them serious or not?”
This is very Andy Rooney-ish. But I should mention that rules aren’t invalidated by humor.

I have no problem following a set of rules that make sense and are orderly.

1 . All threads must be MOC announcements. NO exceptions!
This applies to one forum only. Let me make that clear here to those who haven’t bothered visiting.
Oops, I didn’t mean to imply that was the the rule for all forums. I did try to include the Post subject on both sets so it would be clear that they came from different forums.

   3 . Rainbow warriors need not apply. 7 . All bad MOCs, unfinished MOCs or poor photography are subject to being locked or deleted at the moderator’s discretion.
So what exactly is your criteria for “bad MOCs”? Who is the judge?
Anybody who looks at it is a judge, including a moderator. That’s what you get for showing stuff publicly.

   How many colors can I use before a moc becomes a “rainbow warrior”. What if I just happen to choose a bad color scheme (like lime green and dark blue?)
Use your best judgement as you would when building a show model. Rainbow denotes a lot of colors. Bad color scheme is taste.

Those two rules together come across as no “ugly mocs”. Does bad taste = bad moc that will be deleted? Does it depend on the mood of the moderator? Sometimes there is merit in an ugly moc.

What if you just happen to use it? What if somebody just happens to comment that it’s a bad scheme? Oh my goodness... somebody communicated their dislike.

I have no problem if someone communicates to me that I used a bad color scheme or leaves me negative comments. If my moc gets deleted solely on that reasoning, then I might have an issue. It would definitely discourage me from participating in the future.

Do you post something you think others won’t like? If so, why would you think that others would want to look at such images?

What if I’m color blind and don’t know any better? I’m not but there could always be exceptions. Should it really matter if I think others will like my moc before I post to your forum? I can’t read anyone’s minds or predict their reaction prior to posting... If I could I bet Jake would be begging me for that talent.

   I don’t know... I’ve read this thread and others that weighed the pros/cons of starting a new forum. I hate to say it, but after reading your rules, you do come off sounding like arrogant, whinny, control-freaks.
That’s your opinion and I respect your right to have it. Does it apply to all who have joined CSF as well?

I wouldn’t say that it doesn’t apply to all who have joined so far. That was my initial gut reaction to the rules though, especially with the relative freedoms we enjoy on lugnet. So, that comment would probably be aimed at the forum owner & moderators (or whomever made up the rules). That is probably too much of a personal attack at this point. For that, I applogize. Lets just say that the potential is there for the forum to degenerate in to a despotic leadership. I will give it some time and see how the first big disagreement is handled. How many posts get deleted and how many people get banned and the reasons behind such actions before I go calling anyone a control freak on a personal basis.

   I understand the desire to want to moderate the endless arguements where no new points are being made (like the ongoing 10152 debate or blay vs gray). I wish that lugnet could atleast lock some threads that refuse to die.
You bring up something that wasn’t happening and needed to, indicative of the sluggish movement and lack of responsiveness of the Lugnet giant. In an effort to accomodate everybody, everything slows it down.

   However, judging other peoples MOCs, their art, as worthy of your site or not and deleting the ones you feel are not worthy.... well, makes you (the site) sound very conceited. I hope thats not your intent, but thats the taste they leave.
People can feel judged by just about anything include silence, even through no fault of your own because you’ve been on vacation away from the computer, for example. All that’s occurring is removal from a forum that does not actually host images.

“Worthy” is a term that you introduce here, not CSF. Apparently, you’ve read that into the rules somehow, when it’s plainly not there.

Thats why I was asking what qualifies as a “bad moc” that would be subject to being deleted. When judging a MOC good or bad, someone is making a subjective decision. You put one of my MOCs next to Dan J.‘s Dragonstar it might look bad. You put that same MOC next to a two year old’s MOC it “might” look pretty good. So whether or not something is bad enough to get deleted or worthy enough to not get deleted is a value judgement. Its that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” thing. I have no problem with moderation the way brickshelf does it. Pretty much anything goes if it is made of brick and is not sexually explicit/vulgar or profane.

BTW, let me point out that having an MOC Announce forum doesn’t mean that funky colored prototypes and other unfinished works won’t ever be seen in another CS forum, such as one designed for asking for help with MOCs. People have already asked for help in that forum and received it.

So does that mean I can post a “bad-moc” or “rainbow warrior” in the regular forum?

   I respect your rights to run your site in the manner that you please but the place does not sound very friendly.
Thanks for the respect. Saying that I sound like a control-freak sounds even more unfriendly though.

I was not trying to be un-friendly. Rule number #1 does say that the forum is a dictatorship which generally implies that control resides in 1 person. Whether or not that dictatorship is benevolent or maniacal is yet to be seen. I will give it sometime to see how the community and attitudes develop over there.

drc