 Off-Topic / Fun / 10933
Re: Announcing Classic-Space Forums
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 01:04:46 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.space, Tom McDonald wrote:

snip (new forum announcement)

I just went over and looked around. I read the rules for the space forum and the moc forum. Sounds rather unfriendly to me... don’t know if I’ll ever post there.

1 . This is NOT a democracy, this is a dictatorship. The rule of the Mods is law.

2 . Proper spelling and grammar count. Do try to make your posts readable!

3 . Don’t whine, complain or just be plain stupid.

4 . Text formatting abuse will not be tolerated.

5 . Beware teh Kevoh.

6 . The rules constantly change. That’s life.

What the heck is up with rule #5? Maybe you ought to follow your rule #2. What is Kevoh anyways and why should I beware of him/it? How the heck am I supposed to follow a rule that doesn’t make any sense? Having that in there seems like you tried to interject a bit of sarcasim/humor; but by doing so kinda invalidates the rest of the rules. “If rule #5 is a joke then are the rest of them serious or not?”

1 . All threads must be MOC announcements. NO exceptions!

2 . FINISHED MOCs only. Please keep works-in-progress in the “Space.” Forum.

3 . Rainbow warriors need not apply.

4 . Short backstories only.

5 . Only TWO 2 pictures per post.

6 . Provide a link to the rest of your pics and story.

7 . All bad MOCs, unfinished MOCs or poor photography are subject to being locked or deleted at the moderator’s discretion.

8 . DO NOT complain about locked or deleted posts. Ask for tips how to make your MOC/photography better in the “Space.” section instead.

So what exactly is your criteria for “bad MOCs”? Who is the judge? How many colors can I use before a moc becomes a “rainbow warrior”. What if I just happen to choose a bad color scheme (like lime green and dark blue?)

I don’t know... I’ve read this thread and others that weighed the pros/cons of starting a new forum. I hate to say it, but after reading your rules, you do come off sounding like arrogant, whinny, control-freaks. I understand the desire to want to moderate the endless arguements where no new points are being made (like the ongoing 10152 debate or blay vs gray). I wish that lugnet could atleast lock some threads that refuse to die. However, judging other peoples MOCs, their art, as worthy of your site or not and deleting the ones you feel are not worthy.... well, makes you (the site) sound very conceited. I hope thats not your intent, but thats the taste they leave.

I respect your rights to run your site in the manner that you please but the place does not sound very friendly. I do not know how you expect to draw out lurkers if people need to re-read their posts 10 times to make sure their i’s are dotted and their t’s are crossed before posting.

Best of luck, drc