 Off-Topic / Debate / 9994
Re: How talentless IS...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:17:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Lane writes:
With all this anti - Micheal Crichton bile going around I can't help
thinking that we should fix Steven Segal's wagon first. Is their a martial
artist with less acting talent and a worse on-screen persona than him?
I wouldn't like to see their films if their was. How do his "films" keep
getting made? Does anyone PAY to see them? HAS anyone seen, ANY of them?

Steve, I think you posted to the wrong group. This group is for debates--NOT
undeniable truths!  Segal is so unbelievably awful that the best thing you can
say about him is that Under Seige didn't suck quite as bad as his other films,
but Segal himself was still terrible.  The only (and I mean only) redeeming
thing about Segal (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that he doesn't kid
himself into thinking he's an actual actor.

The only good thing about Under Siege is Tommy Lee Jones.  I should note
that Segal is at least a better actor than the bimbo in that movie (damned
with faint praise <g>).

I liked Segal in Executive Decision - I got to cheer when he died!

For comparison, I present Kevin Costner as Exhibit A.  Worse, Costner
imagines himself not only as an actor but as a worthwhile social commentator.
When did he last release a film that wasn't dreadful? Certainly not Revenge, or
A Perfect World, or The Postman, or Waterworld, or Tin Cup, or For the love of
the Game, or Robin Hood, or The Bodyguard, or 3000 Miles to Graceland, or JFK
(which wasn't especially foul--just an Oliver Stone agenda film).  I'm thinking
Dances with Wolves, and even that was overlong.  And how many baseball films
are we going to let this hack make before someone pulls the plug on him?!

I liked him in Silverado, but that was about it.  He's about the most wooden
actor in existence.

Bruce