 Off-Topic / Debate / 9993
Re: How talentless IS...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:22:28 GMT

For comparison, I present Kevin Costner as Exhibit A.  Worse, Costner
imagines himself not only as an actor

You left out Producer and Director...

  I refuse to allow myself to think of Costner in those terms.

but as a worthwhile social commentator.
When did he last release a film that wasn't dreadful? Certainly not Revenge, >or
A Perfect World, or The Postman,

The Postman wasn't *dreadful*.

  Costner fails more spectacularly than Segal is allowed to because Costner
presumes more spectacularly than Segal is allowed to.  I understand that On
Deadly Ground (what was Michael Caine thinking?!) originally included a 10
minute monologue by Segal on the Evils of Industry. Some merciful soul
clipped him to about a minute before the final cut. Costner, however, is
given three hours of screen time any time he wants it, and that simply
spells 180 minutes of flat, wooden acting.

or Waterworld, or Tin Cup, or For the love of
the Game, or Robin Hood, or The Bodyguard, or 3000 Miles to Graceland, or JFK
(which wasn't especially foul--just an Oliver Stone agenda film).

JFK was the worst of your entire list. Its ONLY redeeming feature is the
vast cast, including Kevin Bacon, which is key for quick linking when you
are playing Back to Bacon.

That is indeed a redeeming factor!  Ensemble films like Short Cuts are also
great linkers.  By the way, I forgot to include Wild Bill on my list--proof
that interesting fact (such as it is) does *not* guarantee interesting fiction.

Other than that, it's dreck. Like all Stone works, IMHO, although YMMV.

  I liked Platoon when I was in high school, but I haven't seen it since
then.  Stone is ritualistically overrated, to be sure.

     Dave!