 Off-Topic / Debate / 8778
  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) No no, you changed it around. You said "You can't visit God physically". Back that up. With replicatable evidence. James wasn't suggesting that you CAN, he was asking why he should believe you that you CAN'T. (...) <james' devil's advocate> I (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) Just so we're on the same page here, you're asking Tom to prove that you can't do something, which in this case is impossible for him to do because there will always be a case of "yeah, but what if..." It is far more reasonable for a skeptic (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) No. He's not asking Tom to prove that something can't be done. He's asking Tom to support his assertion that something can't be done. HUGE difference. James (23 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) You're quibbling. In that case, Tom might begin, for instance, by asserting either that God does not exist, or that God does exist, but he exists in a place physically inaccessible to us. In either case we cannot physically travel to God. Now, (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) AAAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHH! (I had to get that off my chest.) You're missing the point. You cannot catagorically state something as true OR false when there is no evidence to support or deny it. Lacking evidence either way, saying "God does not (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) Well, lighten up, because both of the above were hypothetical assertions under which one might be able to say conclusively that God cannot be physically visited. I was *not* categorically stating that God does not exist. You're missing the (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) So, did you snip my arguments to pick a nit because you agree with them, because you can't refute them, or because you're ignoring them? James 1: Or rather on "somone", before that nit gets picked. (23 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) Because the necessary level of proof for your claim is considerably smaller than the necessary proof for Tom's claim and mine. Again, if you can provide even one example of a way to visit God physically, you'll singlehandedly eliminate any and (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

Wow, this thread is fast becoming hard to track! :) (...) Maybe you changed the point, Dave, but just to backtrack: James: (...) Tom: (...) James: (...) Tom: (...) DaveE: (...) Basically, the point was, what makes proving Brazil different from (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) I agree with that. But I've never said God doesn't exist. (...) He should have stated that there is no verifiable known way to physically visit God. Tom probably doesn't want to modify his statement, but that's the way I'd put it. Bruce (23 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) Just so Tom doesn't think I'm sticking him with the footwork for my argument, I should admit that Bruce's statement above is a correct paraphrasing of my own post, which was in turn a suggestion based on Tom's argument. Dave! (23 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) I've already done that, long ago - search for it if you want ;-) I said I had faith that God does NOT exist, and you can't convince me otherwise. (...) OK, I admit: 1 - IF God exists (I have faith he DOESN'T) 2 - someone MIGHT be able to visit (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) And I agree with Bruce's modification. -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape Communications Corp | Please do not associate my personal views with my employer (23 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) FWIW, the Christian view is that God exists everywhere He wants to since he is not contained in a physical body such as we are, thus to state to "visit" Him, doesn't understand the situation. He did, once, take on the form of man when Jesus (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

And why is that any more probable than Evolution? (...) -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape Communications Corp | Please do not associate my personal views with my employer (23 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) OK. I won't bother looking, I'll take it on faith. <grin, duck> I either didn't remember that, or never saw it, so all I had to go on was what you said today. James (23 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) Er - I thought this was the "visiting God" thread?! -Jon (...) is (...) Him, (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) Okay; then why is your view any more likely than the Cosmic Egg doctrine of creation, or any other cosmogony? FWIW, Tom and I are not Christian (no kidding, right?), and I for one will not accept the Christian notion of God until it can be (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) Ah, now I see where you're coming from - I was only trying to let you know the Christian's perspective - I didn't think / or expect you would accept it. I do believe you can understand something, even though you don't accept it. Understanding (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) I would submit that it is *much* more likely that you don't understand science, the scientific method, and evolution in particular, physics training or no, than that evolution is flawed in the ways that you claim it is. Steve has made (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism

(...) For now, I'm proposing (in another thread you haven't touched yet) that abiogenisis be examined critically - there I'm proposing it is impossible - from a scientific standpoint. And, yes, there I am proposing that the evolution theory (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)