 Off-Topic / Debate / 8799
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:37:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
Just so we're on the same page here, you're asking Tom to prove that you
can't do something, which in this case is impossible for him to do because
there will always be a case of "yeah, but what if..." It is far more
reasonable for a skeptic to ask you to prove that one *can* visit God
physically, since one such visit, if experimentally repeatable, would prove
it possible.

No.  He's not asking Tom to prove that something can't be done.  He's asking
Tom to support his assertion that something can't be done.  HUGE difference.

You're quibbling.  In that case, Tom might begin, for instance, by
asserting either that God does not exist, or that God does exist, but he
exists in a place physically inaccessible to us.  In either case we cannot
physically travel to God.
Now, I suspect that you, or someone else, will question those two
hypothetical examples of ways God might be impossible to visit physically,
so I ask again that someone provide a demonstrable way in which we can visit
Him.

AAAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHH!  (I had to get that off my chest.)

You're missing the point.  You cannot catagorically state something as true
OR false when there is no evidence to support or deny it.

Lacking evidence either way, saying "God does not exist" is entirely as
unverifiable as saying "God does exist".

If you're going to accuse the christians of taking God's existance on faith,
then at least either acknowledge that your (the generic you) denial of God's
existence is ALSO on faith, or at least have the consitency to say "God
might exists, but there is no evidence to support it."

Saying "You can't physically visit God" is another unsupportable statement,
and people should either not be making such catagorical statements, or they
should lay off the christians for doing it.

There.  I feel better.

James