 Off-Topic / Debate / 8778
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:33:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
You can't visit God physically.  And I have YET to see a picture of him.

That's an assumption.  Why can't you visit God physically?

Prove you can.  Supposedly you only see God when you die - that's not a
physical visit.

No no, you changed it around. You said "You can't visit God physically".
Back that up. With replicatable evidence. James wasn't suggesting that you
CAN, he was asking why he should believe you that you CAN'T.

<devil's advocate>
I can't visit Brazil physically.  And I have YET to see a picture of it.
</devil's advocate>

Too cheap to buy a plane ticket?

<james' devil's advocate>
I can't buy a plane ticket there. I live in southern New Zealand. I'm 12
years old and my family is poor. I've read about Brazil in our local
newspaper, and I've heard my parents speak about it before. Heck, I even
know someone who says he's FROM Brazil. Should I believe in Brazil, or
should I completely fight tooth and nail that NO evidence I've seen supports
Brazil's existence?
</james' devil's advocate>

Personally, I'd believe in Brazil. But such a belief is on faith. And unless
you're going to go around saying you WON'T believe in ANYTHING you don't see
firsthand, you're taking SOMETHING on faith. Do you believe I have a Lego
collection? Do you believe that those pictures I've taken aren't fake? Heck,
I've never met you, do you believe there's a human being out there in
Massachusetts named David Eaton? Or do you adamently doubt all that?

DaveE