 Off-Topic / Debate / 8807
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 21:36:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:

Well, lighten up, because both of the above were hypothetical assertions
under which one might be able to say conclusively that God cannot be
physically visited.  I was *not* categorically stating that God does not
exist.
You're missing the point.

You're right, you're just dumping the burden of proof on me(1).  It was Tom
that was catagorically stating unsupportable things. You suggested he could
use other, equally unsupportable things to support his position, and then
turned it around and said that it was up to me to provide a refutation rather
than up to Tom to provide a substatiation.  Why are you moving the burden of
proof away from the person making unsubstantiated claims?

  Because the necessary level of proof for your claim is considerably
smaller than the necessary proof for Tom's claim and mine.  Again, if you
can provide even one example of a way to visit God physically, you'll
singlehandedly eliminate any and all counterarguments Tom and I might
suggest.  On the other hand, Tom or I would have to supply an infinity of
arguments and conditions under which such a physical visit is impossible,
and I expect some still would find that insufficient.

So, did you snip my arguments to pick a nit because you agree with them,
because you can't refute them, or because you're ignoring them?

  Did you actually read my post?  I snipped them because, given the
hypothetical (rather than actual) nature of the two possibilities I posed,
your objections became irrelevant.  So yes, I ignored them, because you were
addressing hypotheticals outside of my actual line of argument.

     Dave!