 Off-Topic / Debate / 5987
Re: Mass transit (nee Age) Limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 07:47:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Erik Olson writes:
And one day you'll (maybe) be grocery shopping for a family of 4, and you'll
think Wow, it would suck to have to carry all this on the trolley, every week.

Perhaps you misunderstood my point; I'm asserting that trolleys and the like
*do not* equal the convenience of a car, and they likely never will.
In fact, every week I do the grocery shopping for my family of two,

Looks like we agree on that! I wasn't saying anything bad about cars. Mostly,
that life in a big city is a chore.

Early in June I broke down and bought an air conditioner at the nearest
vendor--Sears at the same shopping complex as my nearest grocery store.  I
assert (tongue-in-cheekly) that you haven't lived until you've brought home a
100 pound box (20x30x24 inches) on a crowded trolley and carried 400 yards to
your apartment!

I gotta hand that one to you. The most I've schlepped on the T was a suitcase
and a computer and a monitor during rush hour in the winter. Then I got off
several stops too early, oops.