 Off-Topic / Debate / 5978
Re: Mass transit (nee Age) Limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 06:45:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Erik Olson writes:
I have no doubt that an effective mass transit system is possible, and in
some regions even necessary, but in the (only) five cities where I've lived,
mass transit couldn't compete against cars for convenience. I guess that's
my thesis; mass transit can be a very effective means of transport, but
it won't become a full-fledged alternative until it is of approximately • equal
convenience, both in terms of personal cost and personal availability.

And one day you'll (maybe) be grocery shopping for a family of 4, and you'll
think Wow, it would suck to have to carry all this on the trolley, every • week.

Perhaps you misunderstood my point; I'm asserting that trolleys and the like
*do not* equal the convenience of a car, and they likely never will.

Yep.

I like them as a tourist (and would as a commuter) but I'd never ever want to
do grocery shopping the way US people do using them. Here in Zurich (and in
Heidelberg per my cousin the PhD molecular geneticist who is at EMBL) lots of
people go shopping and have little 2 wheel buggies they pull behind them with
the day's groceries. (yes, most people go shopping every day except sunday).
But they don't take them on the trolley from Sams Club where the stuff is
cheap, they buy it at the corner store so they can walk, and they pay a pretty
penny for the priviledge

Oh, change "people" in the above to women. For the most part it's not too
liberated here, very uncommon for men to do the shopping. Furhter, since the
stores all close early, that means that men work and women don't, (unless
they're single) it's not practical to both hold a job and take care of kids or
take care of housework.