 Off-Topic / Debate / 5974
Re: Mass transit (nee Age) Limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 05:53:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Erik Olson writes:
I have no doubt that an effective mass transit system is possible, and in
some regions even necessary, but in the (only) five cities where I've lived,
mass transit couldn't compete against cars for convenience. I guess that's
my thesis; mass transit can be a very effective means of transport, but
it won't become a full-fledged alternative until it is of approximately equal
convenience, both in terms of personal cost and personal availability.

And one day you'll (maybe) be grocery shopping for a family of 4, and you'll
think Wow, it would suck to have to carry all this on the trolley, every week.

  Perhaps you misunderstood my point; I'm asserting that trolleys and the like
*do not* equal the convenience of a car, and they likely never will.
  In fact, every week I do the grocery shopping for my family of two, lugging
the bags the 1/4 mile from the store to the T-stop, riding the T for 1/2 an
hour, then lugging the bags another 1/4 mile from the T-stop to our apartment.
That's a sufficient pain in the butt all by itself, but when it's snowing,
raining, or hot it's dreadful, and trying to bring home ice cream is certainly
out of the question between April and October!
  Early in June I broke down and bought an air conditioner at the nearest
vendor--Sears at the same shopping complex as my nearest grocery store.  I
assert (tongue-in-cheekly) that you haven't lived until you've brought home a
100 pound box (20x30x24 inches) on a crowded trolley and carried 400 yards to
your apartment!

     Dave!