 Off-Topic / Debate / 5943
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 20:05:31 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Funny, in the US anyway, it seems that the public transit that works the best
was built a long time ago by private companies, and the public transit built
recently in cities that didn't have any doesn't usually work at all.

So you're saying the public transportation needs to be in place before the
city?

Makes sense to me -- if a city-organism is in the mode of transporting by
car, it makes little sense to for it to jump to public transportation mode,
just because a little rail system is inserted.

Public transportation doesn't work unless it is very broad -- it must go
everywhere, all of the time.  I commuted to work on the bus a couple of
times in SoCal, but it really wasn't worth the bother -- I had to drive
across town (local town, not the M.A.) to get to the station, then the
cattle car went on the same freeway as everyone else, and then I had to
catch a cross-town bus on a street corner where every bus line stopped.

It was a royal pain, and definitely no faster, easier, or cheaper than
driving.  Well, maybe cheaper, but I'd have to sit down and do a lot of
math to be sure.

Steve