 Off-Topic / Debate / 5953
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 08:19:35 GMT

No, not exactly. More like it has to be driven by market forces. NY subway,
arguably one of the best US ones (in terms of routes, connections and coverage
possible), is a socialized amalgam of several competing subway lines that were
built by private companies all trying to serve customers and make money at it.
Ditto for Chicago, and ditto for Boston.

I'm familiar with that Boston trolley history, but NY is a little different. The
underground lines for the most part date from a 1900 city-financed project let
out to a contractor. It was charted to serve Manhattan and the Bronx. Other
underground lines had been tried (some city-financed), trolleys lasted rather
longer afterward.on the surface, and there were numerous elevated lines
privately operated (especially to the Bronx). The underground contract was
undertaken by a company hastily formed by such men as John B. McDonald, John
Peirce, Cornelius Vanderbilt, and George W. Young to name a few. How we got from
that big chunk, to the 5-borough MTA I have not yet learned (no they are not
still using all the old parts.)