 Off-Topic / Debate / 3842
Re: True Right Wing Fascists
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:22:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:

(I had to type this twice now, since Netscape crashed)

I have never said that *all* environmentalists are worshipping earth
pagans. I remember saying some are, however.

Right.  And some christians are nazi fascists.  You don't like
being lumped in with them - that's all I'm saying.  It's
important to recognize the shades of distinction and not
address people as if they represented all that was wrong with
a particular belief.  It's better to assume that they represent
all that is right with a particular belief, and then be disappointed.

I think it is funny, though, that extremists that are portrayed in the
media and other avenues of life  seem to be right wing, and those
extremists on the left (Including *some* environmentalists, animal
rights, etc. are seen as caring, or deeply committed.) I have never
heard, in any of the standard media, environmentalists being called
extremists. It is a bias, that is uncalled for.

Hmm.  I've read about extremist environmentalists.  Like the folks
who hammer in spikes into trees, so that the sawblades will shatter
potentially wounding the loggers with shrapnel.

I've read about animal-rights activists who could only be described
as "extreme" as well.

Oddly enough, I think I've read about these folk, accurately portrayed
as extremists, in magazines that you might expect to have a leftward
slant, such as Rolling Stone or Spin.

And I've read positive things, sympathetic portrayals, said
about christian religious beliefs and revivals and the like in
the same forums.

I think there is a noticable bias against religion that can be
discerned at times in various media portrayals, but there are
noticable and contradictory biases against all sorts of things.
"Media" is plural - it's composed of many facets, refracting a
spectrum of beliefs.

--

jthompson@esker.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"