 Off-Topic / Debate / 3776
Re: IP (was: Re: Any suggestions on a homepage?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:25:56 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 10:55:23 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Right on. While taking content as your own, unattributed and
unpermitted, is not correct, anything that you can see when you view
source is fair game to learn from as far as I am concerned. And viewing
source is a GREAT way to learn.

You can see content when you "view source"...

Yes. There is a difference between SEEING content, and thus learning
from it (read about "prior art" in the context of patents if you're
interested in learning further about this topic), and USING content.

If I read a book, that book is copyrighted and I am restricted in
producing derivative works. But I'm not restricted in learning from the
book, letting the ideas presented influence my thinking, and in creating
a work of my own that, while original, extends what I learned.

Learning about HTML by viewing source is exactly analogous.

Anyway, how do you make that view jive with your copyright views?

See above.

I'll address the rest of your post, time permitting, later, as I have to
board my flight soon. However suffice it to say that I think your logic
chain has a broken link somewhere, because if it comes out saying the
ends justify the means, it's gotta be wrong. I certainly would never
hoold with that, the ends never justify the means. I just didn't spot it
in 30 seconds of review.

(mis?)Quoting a favorite character: "If you see an apparent
contradiction, check  your premises, at least one of them is wrong"...

Note also that I would not deign to speak for official LP position, so
don't try to pin that on me please..., and my interpretation of logic
may well be incorrect. Ideas seem like property to me, but I could be
wrong. If they aren't, though, what are they?

Working from a rights basis, if you use someone else's idea that they
expended effort to develop, against the will of that person, haven't you
stolen their effort? Aren't you using what is theirs in a way they did
not intend? Please come at it from that angle and see what you come up
with.